Preparing for Peel
- Fourteen days prior to their appointment, have them refrain from:
- having a chemical peel.
- tanning in a tanning booth. This practice should be discontinued altogether, due to the increased risk of skin cancer and signs of aging.
- having a wax or chemical depilatory treatment (five days prior).
- getting Botox® or dermal filler injections (two days prior).
- For best results and to reduce the risk of complications, it is recommended that patients use PCA SKIN® daily care products 10 to 14 days prior to treatment.
- If pregnant, a release from treating physician is necessary.
- Have the patient refrain from sun exposure for 10 days prior to their appointment. Do not apply peel solution to sunburned patients.
- Recommend the patient delay use of tretinoin, Retin-A®, Renova®, Differin®, Tazorac®, Avage®, EpiDuo®, Ziana®, and high-percentage AHA and BHA products for approximately five days prior to treatment. (Using any of these will take the treatment deeper and make results less predictable.
For two days post-procedure:
- Stay cool! Heating internally can cause hyperpigmentation and blistering.
- Do not put the treated area directly into a hot shower spray.
- Do not use hot tubs, steam rooms or saunas.
- Do not go swimming.
- Do not participate in activities that would cause excessive perspiration.
- Do not use loofahs or other means of mechanical exfoliation.
- Do not direct a hair dryer onto the treated area.
- Do not apply ice or ice water to the treated area.
- Avoid direct sun exposure and excessive heat. Use Weightless Protection Broad Spectrum SPF 45, Perfecting Protection Broad Spectrum SPF 30, Protecting Hydrator Broad Spectrum SPF 30 or Hydrator Plus Broad Spectrum SPF 30 for daily broad spectrum UV protection.
- Do not pick or pull on any loosening or exfoliating skin. This could potentially cause hyperpigmentation.
- Absolutely do not go to a tanning booth. (This practice should be discontinued altogether, due to the increased risk of skin cancer and signs of aging.)
- It is recommended to delay use of tretinoin, Retin-A®, Differin®, Renova®, Tazorac®, Avage®, EpiDuo® or Ziana® five days post-procedure. Consult your physician before temporarily discontinuing use of any prescription medications.
- Do not have collagen, Botox® or other filler injections for approximately two days, or electrolysis, facial waxing or depilatories for approximately five days.